A massive triangular laterite fort, replete with a moat and flanking bastions St. Angelo’s Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India and is on the Arabian sea about 1 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler in the Siege of Cannanore (1507). The fort changed hands several times. In 1663, the Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese and sold it to Ali Raja of Kannur. In 1790 the British who seized control over the fort, renovated and equipped it to be their most important military station in Malabar. It is fairly well preserved as a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry behind it can be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663, then later sold the fort to king Ali Raja of Arakkal. In 1790 British seized it and transformed it into their chief military station in Malabar. The fort is in Cannanore cantonment area. St Angelo’s fort is a most important historical monument and a good tourist center. Here Kerala Police have posted few Tourism Policemen for the protection and guidance to the tourists.